/ Friday, August 16, 2013 / 9 Comments
- The first step in my routine is cleansing. Every morning I will do one of two things, 1) cleanse my face/neck using my Clarisonic (I cannot even begin to articulate how crucial my Clarisonic is to my skincare routine, it changes lives) and Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Cleansing Foam, 2) cleanse my face/neck without my Clarisonic using Dior Gentle Cleansing Milk. The first option is for days when my skin is feeling a little oily or if I am immediately going to be putting on makeup and I want to have a clean and smooth surface to apply a foundation/tinted moisturizer. (Sidenote: The Shiseido cleanser works beautifully with the Clarisonic and I highly recommend it to anyone using a Clarisonic) The second option is perfect for days when my skin is dry or irritated and I just want to gently cleanse my skin.
- After cleansing, I move onto Bioderma Crealine H2o. Bioderma is a gentle cleanser that I use in place of a toner. I put a generous amount onto a Shiseido Facial Cotton pad and smooth it all over my face and neck. These cotton pads are so soft and don't just soak up the product so it's evenly distributed onto my skin. They're vital to my skincare routine and after using them I can never use anything else. This step really preps my skin for whatever serum/moisturizer I'm going to apply next.
- Serums aren't really a necessity in my routine, but they're just one of those luxury products that feel good. One serum that I really love is the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum. This serum is enriched with vitamin C, so it's a brightening product that helps with any discoloration or hyper-pigmentation and it smells like bowl of fresh oranges. Who doesn't want their face to smell like oranges? Morons. That's who.
- Moisturizing is probably one of my favorite things to do. I realize that might sound a little strangle but it's just one of those things that immediately makes such a difference in your skin and I cannot emphasis how important it is to moisturize your skin. If you're going to do one thing for your skin, moisturize yo. I'm constantly rotating different moisturizers, but the one that has my heart at the moment is the Josie Maran Aragan Daily Moisturizer SPF 40+. It's great because it's chemical free, feels amazing on the skin, absorbs quickly, and has SPF 40+ protection. Another moisturizer that's always in my cabinet is the Avene Hydrance Optimale Rich Hydrating Cream, this moisturizer has no SPF protection but is extremely hydrating so it's great for lazy days at home or even as a night cream.
- I used to use Shiseido Benefiance WrinkleResist 24 Intensive Eye Contour Cream, which is an amazing product, but because I'm only in my 20s I realized I don't really need an eye cream that intensive right now because wrinkles aren't really an issue for me. I am currently using L'Oreal RevitaLift Eye Cream which is promoted as an anti-wrinkle and firming and eye cream. I can't really say if those claims are accurate or not, but it does everything I want it to do: keep my under eyes hydrated and smooth.
- No matter how tired I am, I can never go to sleep without cleansing my skin. If I have makeup on (if not I skip this first step), I start by massaging Jurlique Purely Bright Cleanser onto wet skin with my fingertips to remove as much makeup as I can. After rinsing my cleanser off, I move onto my trusty Shiseido White Lucent Cleanser and Clarisonic and deeply cleanse my skin.
- The second step of my PM routine is the same as my AM routine, but especially important for PM because using Bioderma completely removes any leftover makeup or grime from the day that you may have missed while cleansing. It also works very well for removing any kind of eye makeup (even waterproof mascara, WUSUP).
- At night I like to apply extra rich and hydrating products onto my skin that can work all night long. I recently got a sample of the Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil and I love it. I will definitely be purchasing the full size bottle. Sometimes I'll even skip my next step (moisturizing) and just put this oil all over my face and neck.
- Shiseido never fails me, so my favorite night cream is the Bio-Performance Advanced Super Revitalizing Cream. It keeps my skin firm and hydrated and, like all Shiseido products, it smells really good. However, if my skin is irritated or if I feel like my skin isn't looking its best I'll switch it up and use Ole Henriksen Invigorating Night Gel. This is one of those products that you can feel working right when you apply it and in the morning your skin feels fresh AF. My only beef with this night gel is that it's kind of sticky so I'll usually follow up with whatever moisturizer I can find just to get rid of that sticky feeling on my face, ju know?
- And just like my AM routine, my last step is always applying my eye cream.
Extra Steps As a skincare enthusiast, I like to take the little extra steps to allow my skin to be the the best it can be. I'm just tryna have the DJ Khalid of skins.
- If my skin looks a little dull or irritated, I like to use Kate Somerville ExfoliKate in the shower. I just feel like this product works better after taking a nice hot shower, and you can really feel it clearing and tightening your pores as well as getting rid of dead skin cells.
- When I'm feeling bougie and want an instant glow, Cle de Peau Spot Serum always does the trick.
- After cleansing but before Bioderma, sometimes I'll spray some La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water onto my face and gently pat into my skin using a tissue or my fingertips. It helps my skin feel balanced and I also just really like the way it feels so whatever.